When winter weather threatens...
In the event of inclement weather, Goshen will take all steps necessary to insure the safety of our students.
- District administration and transportation personnel pay close attention to all weather forecasts.
- Road conditions and developing weather reports are monitored throughout the early morning hours any time there is a threat of inclement weather.
- In the event that road and weather conditions pose a threat to the safety of our students, Goshen will implement either a two hour delay or a school closing.
Two hour delay guidelines
In some instances, delaying two hours allows road crews and sunlight time ensure that all routes are safe for transportation to school. In these situations, Goshen will implement a two hour delay for all buildings and grade levels. In the event of a two hour delay, school start times are as follows.
- Goshen High School (grades 9 - 12) starts at 9:30am.
- Goshen Middle School (6-8) starts at 9:20am.
- Spaulding Elementary School (3-5) starts at 10:30am.
- Marr/Cook Elementary School (Pre-2) starts at 10:40am.
School closing guidelines
Any time road and weather conditions do not appear to be changing or will clearly be unsafe throughout the day, Goshen will implement a school closing.
In some instances, a two hour delay will be implemented, but the weather and road conditions will not improve enough to ensure student safety. In these situations, a two hour delay will escalate to a school closing.
Early release guidelines
Very rarely, weather conditions will worsen dramatically after school has already begun for the day. In the event that remaining at school will cause unsafe conditions for traveling home, Goshen will implement an early release.
All changes to the school day schedule will be communicated to all students and families
To ensure that every student and family is aware of changes to the school day schedule, Goshen will always communicate changes in a variety of ways, including the following.
- Voice (phone) message via automated calling system
- In the event that you have NOT been receiving calls from your child's school this year, use Final Forms to update your contact information.
- District website at www.goshenlocalschools.org
- Facebook (join us here)
- Local media, such as television, radio, and school closing websites
Homework and class assignment guidelines
Always email or speak to your teacher about any special circumstances related to missing class time and snow days. Teachers are always working to ensure that every student succeeds.
Typically, any assignments due on a snow day are simply due on the next day that school is in session.
Two hour delays do not affect homework due dates, but may affect in-class assignments.